Thursday, November 19, 2009

2 Samuel Lap folder - Introduction



I. Our Purpose is to:
  • Read and make observations in each chapter of 2 Samuel.
  • Learn more about God's character and His plan.
  • Learn the history of Israel during the time of its kings.
  • Graphically organize our observations into a lap folder.
II. Our Resources include:
Just a Bible is good enough. Good observation skills are the best tools for initial Scripture study. Here are some others we use:
  • A Bible Dictionary - I use Handy Dictionary of the Bible edited by Merrill C. Tenney. Here is a link to a free on-line Bible Dictionary: http://net.bible.org/dictionary.php. Although not necessary, it saves me a lot time. If for example, I wanted to make some "Who Am I?"' cards for a lap folder and want a quick description; or if I want to find out where a person, place or thing is mentioned in other parts of the Scriptures - really handy.
  • The Greenleaf Guide to Old Testament History by Rob & Cyndy Shearer
  • NKJV Nelson Study Bible
  • What the Bible is All About for Young Explorers by Frances Blankenbaker
  • Logos Bible Study Software
III. Lap folder suggestions for mini-books to make ahead of time:
(I use a program called OpenOffice.org Draw
to make mini-books. It is free and friendly.)
  • Bible Verse Pocket with empty cards to copy down any significant verses when you come to them.
  • Main People in 2 Samuel booklet - Using a Bible Dictionary to make it easier, I wrote descriptions of David, Ishbosheth, Abner, Joab, Mephibosheth, Uriah, Nathan, Amnon, and Absalom inside.
  • Who Am I Pocket to add cards describing "minor" characters as we come to them. This will make for a fun "trivia" game as review.
  • Main Events Pocket as found in What the Bible is All About.
  • Map of Israel to fill in as we read about different places.
I plan on posting our progess as we complete each chapter in 2 Samuel.

No comments:

Post a Comment